Tenders and Calls
The Slovenian Book Agency, Metelkova 2b, 1000 Ljubljana, on the basis of the Book Agency Act of the Republic of Slovenia (UL RS, Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 112/2007, 40/2012 and 63/2013), the Act for the Public Interest in Culture of the Republic of Slovenia (UL RS, Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 77/07-UPB, 56/08, 4/10, 20/11, 111/13 and 68/16), the Rulebook on the procedural execution of public tenders and public calls in culture of the Republic of Slovenia (UL RS, Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 107/15 ) and the Rulebook on expert commissions of the Slovenian Book Agency (UL RS, Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 73/16) herewith publishes the
1. Name and Adress of the Call orderer
Slovenian Book Agency/Javna agencija za knjigo Republike Slovenije (JAK), Metelkova 2b, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia.
2. The main objectives of the Call
The objective of the Call is the selection of applicants for the co-financing of the translation and publication of books by Slovenian authors in the German language for the year 2019.
3. Priorities of the Call and its limitations regarding the number of selected co-financed applicants:
The Slovenian Book Agency (JAK) will support the proposed projects of publications in accordance with the following long-term priorities and objectives:
- Support for the first publications of original Slovenian works in the German language;
- Support for translators from Slovenian into German;
- Support the promotion and enforcement of Slovenian authors and their works abroad, also in the view of the project “Slovenia, Guest of honour at the Frankfurter Buchmesse 2022”;
- Encourage the translation and promotion of Slovenian literature in the long term.
The Book Agency (JAK) will in the scope of this Call co-finance maximum one (1) book publication per applicant.
4. The co-financing time frame and Eligibility criteria of the Call
In the framework of this call the selected applicants will be awarded a co-financing budget sum for all paper book publications which will be published by 30 September 2021.
In the framework of this call we will co-finance the translation and publication of Slovenian authors in the German language. The proposed works must not have been previously translated into the German language. The eligible works include: adult fiction, biographies/autobiographies, children's and young adult fiction, comics, essays, handbooks, guides or criticism in the fields of culture and human science that are to be published in book (injuncted is the co-financing of school-books and other educational material, science books, exhibition catalogues, cook books and self-help genre).
Eligible applicants are legal persons (publishers) which have their legal seat in Austria, Germany or Switzerland and intend to publish the proposed book title of one or more Slovenian authors in the German speaking geographical scope.
5. Financial value of the Call JR7–INJ–2019, the execution of the co-financing procedures, the eligible time-frame of the co-financed budget use and possible changes or cancellations of the co-financing agreement
The estimated value of the public tender JR7-INJ-2019 is 60.000,00 EUR.
Funds granted within the framework of this call should be used in 2019 or within the payment deadlines that will be determined by the current law on budget implementation of the Republic of Slovenia and the grant agreement.
The Book Agency reserves the right not to distribute all funds available.
In the first phase of implementing the public call the Book Agency (JAK) will verify the applicant’s qualification, in the second phase the relevant expert committee will evaluate the applications based on the criteria of the call and, based in these evaluations, JAK will issue its decision on the applicants selected for grants for 2019 and the amount of funds granted for the selected book publishing projects.
If JAK, based on regular or exceptional checks of the co-financed cultural project discovers that the chosen book publishing project has, either in its entirety or partially, not been carried out, or that the execution is inconsistent with the submitted application or contract, inadequate or at an insufficient level, that the actual cost of the project differs from the documentation enclosed with the application or the entered contract on co-financing a cultural project, or that the applicant has not fulfilled other obligations speculated by the contract, JAK can demand a partial or complete return of the funds already paid out including any statutory interest rates and can cut funding for the project chosen from the public call for proposals.
If during the implementation of the procedures of this public call for proposals the amount of funds allocated in the state budget for JAK’s co-financing is reduced to the extent that it no longer guarantees the fulfilment of the objectives of the public call for proposals, JAK reserves the right to stop the process of the public call and in cases of already issued decisions issue replacement decisions with which it appropriately amends the level of financing cultural projects or changes or interrupts any contracts on co-funding cultural projects already entered.
All risks in implementing the cultural project prior to a decision being issued and the contract on co-financing the selected cultural project being signed are born by the applicant.
6. Budget and eligible costs
Eligible costs of this call are the following:
- Translation costs SI-DE;
- Proof reading;
- Production costs of cover design and book setting;
- Printing costs;
- e-book production/ ePub conversion costs
- promotional and marketing activities;
- book-seller activities.
The value of costs considered eligible are those costs shown on an invoice or other appropriate accounting documents.
The applicant is not allowed to receive financing from other sources for the amount of the costs that are subject of co-financing and have been claimed from JAK as eligible costs, (the prohibition of double financing applies) . If JAK establishes that the applicant has received funding from other sources or that funds have been granted for the same eligible costs, the contract on funding can be canceled, and the beneficiary will be obliged to repay to JAK all amounts unduly paid including the relevant interest accumulated from the date of payment until the date of repayment.
The applicats can apply for a grant up to €11.000 which should represent a maximum of 50% of the eligible costs.
7. Conditions for the participation in the public call JR7-INJ-2019
7.1 General conditions to be fulfilled:
- The applicant shall observe all contractual obligations and shall have no further liabilities to JAK at the time of the application;
- shall permit the publication of personal data for the purpose of publishing the results of the public call on the JAK website, in agreement with Public Information Access Act (UL RS - Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, no. 51/06-UPB2) and Personal Data Protection Act (UL RS - Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, no. 94/07-UPB1);
- shall be the only applicant submitting the application for this project in the public call JR7–INJ–2019;
- shall apply to the public call JR7-INJ-2019 only once with this project;
- shall take into account the definition of the priorities and objectives of this call;
- shall have no limitation of operations on the basis of the Integrity and Prevention of Corruption Act (UL RS - Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, no. 69/11-UPB);
- the application shall be turned in by an eligible legal person, it shall be turned in by the due date and in agreement with the instructions specified in article 10 of this call;
- shall agree to cooperate in supplying credible information and substantive and financial documentation, and shall undertake to cooperate in carrying out substantive and financial control;
- shall commit themselves to repay a part or all of the grant at the request of JAK if JAK determines any inappropriate use of funds or overpayment of the share of eligible costs specified in the ruling and the contract in the control procedures.
The applicant states in the application form that he meets all these conditions. If JAK subsequently demands original statements on the fulfilment of any of the stated conditions, the applicant must provide them in due time.
7.2 Special conditions to be fulfilled:
The applicants shall meet also the following special conditions:
- they are legal persons from Austria, Germany or Switzerland who intend to ensure the book publication of the translated work of the Slovenian author in German language;
- they shall enclose a contract between the translator and the legal person with a registered office in Austria, Germany or Switzerland who will publish the work being applied for in German language, with the expected date of publication no later than 30 September 2021;
- they shall enclose a written statement or any other document proving that the right holder agrees with the translation and the use of the translation as stated in the public call ;
- the translated work which is being applied for shall not be published in book form before 1 January 2019 and shall be the first translation of the full work being applied for into German language;
- the book shall be published by the deadline stated in the letter of intent or in the contract with the publisher and no later than 30 September 2021;
- they have not received any other funds for the same costs subject to the co-funding and which they claim as eligible costs with JAK;
- they shall request a grant in the amount of up to 50 percent of the eligible costs and up to 11,000.00 EUR of the eligible costs for the project being applied for;
- they shall apply for a project that is financially balanced, which means that the revenues shall be equal to the expenditures of the project being applied for (revenues = expenditures).
8. The award criteria for the grant
The references of the publisher and the estimated impact of the translation (availability and accessibility)
The planned promotional, marketing, book-seller activities of the applicant in connection with the applied book proposal (planned author's visits, participation in various book fairs, literary festivals, book-seller conferences, planned media work etc.).
Quality and relevance of the applied book proposal
The references of the translator, the scope of his or her translation work or the proven quality of his or her translations (a reference is also the participation at translational seminars or workshops for the language combination SI_DE)
Translation source language (indirect translation 0 points, direct translation 1 point)
Priority criterion: the translation has been made in the frame of the translation seminars organized by The Slovenian Book Agency
9. Use of the award criteria and the evaluation process
Applications will be evaluated in regards to the award criteria by the appropriate evaluation committee at the Book Agency.
The projects chosen for financial support will be those that will be given higher scores in the procedure of evaluation. The highest possible score for a project is 50 points. Projects eligible for financial support must achieve at least 33 points. In case that the total amount of financial support for approved cultural projects, which have reached the minimum threshold of 33 points, exceed the value of the public tender, financial support will be given to projects with the highest score.
The amount of approved funds for a cultural project depends on the extent and financial complexity of the cultural project, and assets intended for the call for proposals with the selected cultural projects not being judged in comparison as far as the level of approved funding in relation to the number of points received.
10. Deadline for submissions and the submission process
The complete application consists of the filled-in application form and must also include all mandatory enclosures and data as defined in the public tender documentation.
All documentation of the public call for proposals JR7–INJ–2019 is available of the website of the Slovenian Book Agency at www.jakrs.si/en. Interested parties can also pick this documentation up in person at the Book Agency's main office every weekday between 10am and 12 am.
The application is submitted on time, if JAK receives it before the deadline for submission of applications. If an application is sent by registered mail, the date JAK considers the date of receipt of the application is the date of posting. The same applies for electronic applications which must be received by JAK before the deadline for submitting applications.
The applicants must hand in their complete application by the set deadline by registered post; or in person every working day between 10 and 12 am at the address: Slovenian Book Agency, Metelkova 2b, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia.
The application must be submitted in a sealed envelope that bears the inscription »DO NOT OPEN – JR7–INJ–2019«. The back of the envelope must contain the legal name and address (headquarters) of the applicant.
The application is complete if it is submitted in its physical and electronic form. The electronic version of the application form should be sent to the e-address email@example.com in a text document (e.g. MS Word, Open Office), the mandatory enclosures should be scanned and attached. The subject of the e-mail should include the name of the applicant and the name of the public call.
The public call for applications begins on 5th April 2019 and ends on 15th May 2019.
11. Compliance with the conditions of the call for proposals, method of considering applications and selecting approved projects
Compliance with the conditions of the call for proposals is determined by the commission for the opening applications that is appointed by the Book Agency director from employees of the Book Agency.
Applications that will not be completed in full, on original, dated, stamped and signed application forms or which will not be delivered both in electronic and in physical form or will not comply with the documentation requirements of the call for proposals JR7-INJ-2019, will be considered as incomplete.
JAK will urge applicants whose applications will be formally incomplete, to supplement them within five (5) days after receipt of JAK's response. If applicants fail to complement the previously incomplete applications within the required deadline, these applications will be rejected and thus eliminated from further consideration.
Applications considered late are all applications sent by registered mail and in electronic form by and including 15th May 2019 or is not submitted in person by this date in the Book Agency's main office. Late applications will be rejected and thus eliminated from further consideration.
Applicants who do not meet the above-mentioned criteria will be rejected and thus excluded from further consideration.
Applications where the content does not fall within the scope of the call for proposals and the expert committee is unable to assess according to the criteria specified in the call for applications, are dismissed as ineligible.
In the event of a subsequent discovery of non-compliance with the conditions and after a previously issued decision on the selection, JAK can change the decision it had made and not enter into contract with the applicant. In the event of subsequent discovery of non-compliance with the conditions or contractual obligations during a review of the project it can also dissolve a contract and, in the event of funds having already been paid out, demand a partial or full reimbursement of funds.
JAK will not return application documents and annexes to applicants.
When the applicant hands in the application, he or she agrees with all the conditions and criteria of the public call JR7–INJ–2019.
Applications handed in on time and in full by eligible persons will be submitted for consideration to the Book Agency's expert committee.
The final decision on the allocation of funds based on the report by the relevant expert committee lies with the Director of the Book Agency.
The opening of applications will take place at the Book Agency's premises on Metelkova 2b, 1000 Ljubljana, and is scheduled to start on 20th May 2019.
12. Payment of the application tariff with the application to the public call for proposals
In accordance with the provisions of the Tariff on the implementation of the services of the Public Book Agency of the Republic of Slovenia (UL RS - Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 04/13 and 50/14) the applicant must enclose with the application proof of payment of the 25 EUR tariff. If the certificate is not attached, the applicant will be asked to comply. If, after the expiry of the deadline for the compliance the Book Agency will still not receive the relevant certificate, the application will be rejected as incomplete.
The Tariff in the amount of 25,00€ is to be paid to the following bank account:
IBAN: SI56 0110 0600 0027 474
With the payment reference: SI 00 “date of payment” (f. e.: 08042019)
Payment purpose: tariff JR7-INJ-2019
13. Public call for proposals documentation
The documentation of the public call for proposals includes:
Applicants must hand in the complete documentation of the public call for proposals, which includes the following mandatory enclosures:
- fullfilled application form (dated, stamped and signed);
- proof of payment of the relevant tarif in accordance with the provisions of the Tariff on the implementation of the services of the Public Book Agency of the Republic of Slovenia (Uradni list RS - Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 04/13 and 50/14);
- a letter of intent OR a contract between the translator and a legal entity based in Austria, Germany or Switzerland which will publish the relevant work in the German language, with a proposed date of publication or implementation no later than 30th September 2021;
- in cases where it already exists, proof of a copyright agreement (or a written statement or other documentary proof that the copyright holder agrees to the work being translated into German in accordance with this call); proof needs to be submitted at the latest together with the payment request for the subsidy.
14. Contact person for all additional information
All information can be acquired at www.jakrs.si/en, and also via telephone or e-mail every working day between 10. in 12. with the following contact person:
- Anja Kovač, e-mail: anja.kovac(at)jakrs.si, tel.: 00386 1 230 05 75.
 The legally binding text of the public call is only the original Slovenian text.
 Applicants can also apply to the Public Call for Translations into foreign languages, which is published by the Book Agency once yearly. The co-financed projects from the Call for translations into foreign languages are allowed to also apply for the Call here in question, however the translation cannot be financed twice.
 The mentioned limitation does not imply that the applicants cannot combine various (public) grants to close their budget. However, when handing in the financial claim to JAK, you cannot claim the same receipt or part of the receipt that is being claimed with another financer (EU, Traduki…).
 At the time of handing over the documentation related to the application a written confirmation by the applicant that copyright is in the process of being settles will suffice, but only if the procedure is more complex than usual (multiple authors, heirs, etc.). In this case the applicant must submit documentary evidence at the latest by the time the request for payment of the subsidy is submitted.