Tenders and Calls
Public call for translations into foreign languages (JR6–P–2019)
This text is an excerpt from the full text of the public call, which is published only in Slovenian. Only the original Slovenian text is legally binding.
The public call JR6–P–2019 covers the following field:
- translations into foreign languages (P)
The goal and purpose of the public tender is support for the first translations of Slovenian literature into foreign languages.
The eligible texts include adult fiction, children's and young adult fiction, essays or criticism in the fields of culture and humanities that are to be published in a book form or performed by a theatre company abroad.
Eligible applicants are legal entities (publishers, theaters) registered abroad, who intend to ensure the publication or performance of the first translation of a literary work, originaly written in Slovenian language.
The Slovenian Book Agency (JAK) will support the proposed projects of publications in accordance with the following long-term priorities and objectives:
- support for translation of works, originaly written in Slovenian language, into foreign languages;
- long-term support for the translation and promotion of Slovenian literature abroad, also in the perspective of the project "Slovenia, honorary guest at the Frankfurt Book Fair in 2022";
- support to promotion of Slovenian authors and their works abroad;
- support for translators from Slovenian into foreign languages;
The same applicant may submit not more than two (2) cultural projects within the framework of this call.
The estimated value of the public tender JR6–P–2019 is 100.000,00 EUR.
Eligible costs include exclusively costs of the original work of the translator.
JAK will offer a support of up to 100 percent of all eligible costs for a translation applied and up to 10,000.00 EUR for an individual project.
Applicants are not allowed to receive financing from other sources for the same costs that are subject of co-financing and have been claimed from JAK as eligible costs (prohibition of double financing applies) . If JAK establishes that the applicant has received funding from other sources or that funds have been granted for the same eligible costs, the contract on funding can be canceled, and the beneficiary will be obliged to repay to JAK all amounts unduly paid including the relevant interest accumulated from the date of payment until the date of repayment.
Funds granted within the framework of this call have to be be used in 2019 or within the payment deadlines that will be determined by the current law on budget implementation of the Republic of Slovenia and the grant agreement.
JAK reserves the right not to distribute all funds available.
In the first phase of implementing the public call the Slovenian Book Agency (JAK) will verify the applicant’s qualification, in the second phase the relevant expert committee will evaluate the applications based on the bellow stated criteria of this call. Based on these evaluations JAK will issue its decision on the selected projects for translation grants for 2019 and their exact amounts.
If based on regular or exceptional checks of the co-financed cultural project JAK discovers that the chosen translation project has, either in its entirety or partially, not been carried out, or that the execution is inconsistent with the submitted application or contract, inadequate or at an insufficient level, that the actual cost of the project differs from the documentation enclosed with the application or the entered contract on co-financing a cultural project, or that the applicant has not completed other obligations defined by the contract, JAK can demand a partial or complete return of the funds already paid out, including any statutory interest rates and can cut funding for the chosen project.
If during the implementation of the procedures of this public call amount of funds allocated in the state budget for JAK’s co-financing is reduced to the extent that it no longer guarantees the completion of the objectives of the public call, JAK reserves the right to stop the process of the public call and in cases of already issued decisions issues replacement decisions with which it appropriately amends the level of financing cultural projects or changes or interrupts any contracts on co-funding cultural projects already entered.
All risks in implementing the cultural project prior to a decision being issued and the contract on co-financing the selected cultural project being signed are born by the applicant.
General conditions for the participation
The applicants have to meet the following general conditions:
- at the time of the application all previous contractual obligations with JAK are settled;
- they allow publication of personal information for the purpose of publishing the results of the public call on the JAK website:
- they are the only applicant applying for the same cultural project (in whole or in part);
- they will apply to the public call JR6–P–2019 only once with this project (in whole or in part);
- they will take into account the goals and objectives of this call, as referred to in the above text;
- the application is filed in by an eligible entity by the due date and in accordance with the instructions specified in this text;
- the tariff in the amount of 25,00 EUR has been paid;
- if JAK establishes any inappropriate use of funds or overpayment of the share of eligible costs specified in the ruling and the contract in the control procedures they commit to repay a part or all of the funds at the request of JAK.
In the application form the applicant states that he meets all the conditions. If JAK subsequently demands original documents on the fulfilment of the stated conditions, the applicant must provide them in due time.
Special conditions for the participation
The applicants have to meet also the following special conditions:
- they are legal entities, registered abroad who intend to ensure the publication or performance of the first translation of works, originaly written in Slovenian language;
- they attach a letter of intent or a contract between a translator and a legal entity registered abroad that they will publish (or perform) the work in foreign language before 31 August 2021;
- they enclose written statement or any other document proving that the right holder agrees with the translation and the use of the translation as stated in the public call;
- the translated work which is being applied for was not published in book form before 31 December 2018 and will be the first translation of the work the translation shall;
- the work will be published or performed by the deadline stated in the letter of intent or in the contract with the publisher or theatre company which is no later than 31 August 2021;
- they have not received other funding for the costs subject to the co-funding which they claim as eligible costs with the Slovenian Book Agency;
- they apply for up to 100 percent of the eligible costs which can add up to 10,000.00 EUR of the eligible costs for the applied project;
- they apply for a project that is financially balanced, which means that the revenues are equal to expenditures of the project being applied for (revenues = expenditures).
The criteria for the evaluation of the applications
The references of the publisher/theatre company and the estimated impact of the translation
The references of the literary work and its author/authors
The references of the translator, the scope of his or her translation work or the proven quality of his or her translations
Direct translation 1 point, indirect translation 0 points
Priority criterion – translation of the work, which was translated by a translator during JAK translation seminar
Use of the criteria
Applications will be evaluated according to the assessment criteria by JAK's competent expert commission.
The projects chosen for financial support will be the ones with higher scores in the procedure of evaluation. The highest possible score for a project is 50 points. Projects eligible for financial support must achieve at least 33 points. In case that the total amount of financial support for approved cultural projects which have reached the minimum threshold of 33 points exceed the value of the public tender, financial support will be given to projects with higher score. The amount of approved funds for a cultural project depends on the volume and financial complexity of the cultural project and the funds available for the call, whereby among the selected cultural projects there is no comparability with regard to the amount of funds granted in proportion to the amount of points received.
Deadline for the public call and the process of application
The application consists of an completed application form and must include all mandatory enclosures and information as defined in the public call documentation. The application form needs to be sent via registered mail as well as by e-mail.
The applicants must send their complete applications by the set deadline (15 May 2019) via registered post to the address Slovenian Book Agency, Metelkova 2b, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia or hand it in in person every working day between 10 and 12 a.m.
The application must be sent in a sealed envelope with the inscription »DO NOT OPEN – JR6–P–2019« on its front. The back of the envelope must contain legal name and address (headquarters) of the applicant.
The electronic version of the application has to be sent as an attachment in a text document (e.g. MS Word) to the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the e-mail should include the name of the applicant and the name of the public tender.
The application is complete if it is sent in paper as well as electronic form.
The public call JR6-P-2019 opens on 6 April 2019 and closes on 15 May 2019.
When the applicant hands in the application, he agrees with all the conditions and criteria of the public tender JR6–P–2019.
The applicants must hand in the complete documentation of the public tender JR6–P–2019, which includes the following mandatory enclosures:
- Completed application form (dated, signed and stamped);
- Proof that the tariff has been paid (in accordance with the provisions of the Tariff on the implementation of the services of the Public Book Agency of the Republic of Slovenia (UL RS - Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 04/13 and 50/14);
- A letter of intent or the contract between the translator and a legal person with a registered office abroad who will publish or perform the work that is being applied for, along with the expected date of realization no later than August 31, 2021;
- A written statement or any other document, which proofs that the right holder agrees with translation and the use of translation as stated in the public tender;
- An up-to-date portfolio/catalogue of the publisher or a web link to the catalogue.
Instructions for payment of the tariff
Every applicant pays the amount of 25.00 € to the benefit of the:
Slovenian Book Agency, Metelkova 2b, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
SWIFT = BSLJSI2X
Account opened at the Public Payments Administration of the Republic of Slovenia.
With the payment reference: SI 00 6-2019 and payment purpose: tariff JR6-P-2019.
The tariff is paid in Euros. The Slovenian Book Agency uses a non-cash payment procedure. All payment-related bank costs are paid by the applicant.
For all additional information please contact:
Jana Bales, (: +386 1 369 58 27, +: jana.bales(at)jakrs.si
Head office of the Slovenian Book Agency (: +386 1 369 58 20, +: gp.jakrs(at)jakrs.si
After 18 May 2019: Anja Kovač, (: +386 1 230 05 75, +: anja.kovac(at)jakrs.si
 The mentioned limitation does not imply that the applicants cannot combine various (public) grants to close their budget. However, when handing in the financial claim to JAK, you cannot claim the same receipt or part of the receipt that is being claimed with another financer (EU, Traduki…).