The Slovenian Book Agency, on the basis of the Book Agency Act of the Republic of Slovenia (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 112/2007, 40/2012 and 63/2013), the Act for the Public Interest in Culture of the Republic of Slovenia (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 77/07-UPB, 56/08, 4/10, 20/11, 111/13 and 68/16), the Rulebook on the Procedural Execution of Public Tenders and Public Calls in Culture of the Republic of Slovenia (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 107/15 ) and the Rulebook on Expert Commissions of the Slovenian Book Agency (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 73/16) herewith publishes the
Call for applications for funding of cultural projects to co-finance the printing costs of translations of original Slovene works in foreign languages for the year 2020 (hereafter: JP3–TRUBAR–2020) 
1. Name and address of institution calling for applications
The Slovenian Book Agency (Javna agencija za knjigo RS, hereafter: JAK), Metelkova 2b, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia.
2. Subject and scope of this public call for applications
The subject of this public call for applications is the selection of publishers and the co-financing of cultural projects for the year 2020 based on the stipulations of this call for applications and the fulfilment of the criteria and conditions stated under points 7 and 8 within the scope of covering the printing costs of works of literature and human science for adults, young adults and children translated from Slovene originals into foreign languages.
3. Aims of the public call for applications and the limitations concerning the number of applications for co-financing
Within the scope of covering printing costs, JAK will support proposed projects on the basis of its following long-term aims and contextual objectives:
- support for new publications of original Slovene works translated into foreign languages;
- promoting and winning recognition of Slovene authors and their works abroad as part of Slovenia's 2021 presidency of the Council of the European Union and as part of the cultural projects Slovenia – Guest of Honour at Bologna Children's Book Fair, and Slovenia – Guest of Honour at the Frankfurt Book Fair; in line with the above the aim is to increase the number of issues in French, German, Italian, Dutch and English;
- long term support for translation, publishing and promotion of Slovene literature abroad.
Individual applicants can propose a maximum of 3 (three) individual book projects for this call for applications.
4. Definition of the public call for applications in terms of contents
Within the framework of this call for applications, JAK will co-finance the printing costs of first editions in foreign languages of authors whose original work is created in Slovene, in the fields of literarture and human science for adults, young adults and children (including wordless picture books, graphic novels and comics) as well as essays and reviews from the field of culture and art (specifically excluding support for publication of text books, scientific monographs, exhibition catalogues, cookbooks and self-help manuals). Eligible applicants are legal persons (publishers) based abroad who intend to ensure the publication of translations of Slovene authors.
5. Financial value of the call for applications JP3–TRUBAR–2020, the eligible time-frame for using the co-financed budget, and changes in or cancellations of the co-financing agreement
The basic value of the public call for applications JP3–TRUBAR–2020 is anticipated at 33,000 EUR.
Funds granted within the framework of this call should be used in 2020 or within the payment deadlines that will be determined by the current law on budget implementation of the Republic of Slovenia and the co-financing agreement.
JAK reserves the right not to distribute all the allocated funds of this public call for applications.
If JAK, based on regular or on-the-spot checks of co-financed cultural projects discovers that the chosen project has not been carried out, either in its entirety or partially, or that the execution is inconsistent with the submitted application or contract, inadequate or at an insufficient level, that the actual cost of the project differs from the documentation enclosed with the application or the co-financing contract, or that the applicant has not fulfilled other obligations speculated by the contract, JAK can demand a partial or complete return of the funds already paid out, including any statutory interest rates, and can terminate funding for the project chosen from the public call for applications.
If during the implementation of the procedures of this public call for applications the amount of funds allocated in the Slovenian state budget for JAK’s co-financing is reduced to the extent that it no longer guarantees the fulfilment of the objectives of the public call for applications, JAK reserves the right to halt the process of the public call for applications and in cases where decisions have already been issued, issues revised decisions with which it appropriately amends the level of financing of cultural projects or changes or terminates any contracts on co-funding cultural projects already entered.
All risks in involved in the implementation of the cultural project prior to a decision being issued and prior to signing the contract on co-financing the selected cultural project are born by the applicant.
6. Period of co-financing, co-financing budget and legitimate expenses
Following this public call for applications funds will be allocated to chosen applicants in the area of covering printing costs of translations into foreign languages for co-funding cultural projects carried out in the period from 1. 12. 2019 to 1. 12. 2020, inclusive.
Legitimate expenses include exclusively the printing costs. These are accepted to the value stated on the invoice or other appropriate accounting document.
JAK will co-fund chosen projects to the amount of up to 70% and maximum 3,000.00 EUR of the printing costs per cultural project applied for by each individual applicant.
The beneficiary cannot receive funds for the same costs of publication from other financial funds (prohibition of double financing for the same invoice). If JAK establishes that the applicant has received funding from other sources or that funds have been granted for the same eligible costs, the contract on funding can be cancelled, and the beneficiary will be obliged to repay to JAK all amounts unduly paid, including the relevant interest accumulated from the date of payment until the date of repayment.
7. Conditions for the participation in the public call JP3–TRUBAR–2020
7.1 General conditions
Applicants should meet the following general conditions:
- at the time of application, the applicant will have no outstanding contractual liabilities towards JAK;
- the applicant will permit the publication of personal data for the purpose of publishing the results of the public call for applications on JAK’s website, in agreement with Public Information Access Act (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, no. 51/06-UPB2) and Personal Data Protection Act (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, no. 94/07-UPB1);
- for the same project (either complete or partial) only one applicant is allowed to submit an application;
- the same project (either complete or partial) can only be proposed once;
- the applicant bears in mind the defined content and the priorities and objectives of this call, as defined in articles 3 and 4 of this call for applications;
- the proposed cultural project is not co-financed for the same portion of costs by other public calls or tenders;
- the applicant has no limitation in operations based on the Integrity and Prevention of Corruption Act (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, no. 69/11-UPB);
- the application will be submitted by an eligible legal person, before the due date and in agreement with the instructions specified in article 10 of this call for applications;
- the applicant accepts that it is their duty to supplying credible information and substantive and financial documentation, and undertakes to cooperate in any substantive and financial audits;
- the applicant commits themselves to repay part or all the funds at the request of JAK if inappropriate use of funds or overpayment of the share of eligible costs specified in the ruling and the contract is established during control procedures.
By signing the application form the applicant states that they meet all the above conditions. If JAK subsequently demands original statements on the fulfilment of any of the stated conditions, the applicant must provide them within the stipulated period.
7.2 Specific conditions
Applicants should also meet the following specific conditions in addition to the general conditions stated above:
- they are legal persons based abroad who intend to ensure the book publication of the translated work of a Slovene author;
- they are applying for a maximum of three (3) individual books;
- that they have settled rights for the proposed work or the work is copyright free;
- that the translated work was not published in book form prior to 1. 12. 2019 and this is the first translation of the entire proposed work into the language applied for;
- that the translation will be published by 1. 12. 2020 at the latest;
- that they have not received any other funds for the portion of costs subject to the co-funding and which they claim as eligible costs with JAK;
- that they are requesting co-financing for up to 70 % and maximum 3,000.00 EUR of printing costs of the project applied for;
- that they are applying with a financially balanced project, which means that the revenues are equal to the expenditures of the proposed project (revenues = expenditures).
8. Determining the compliance of applications
Compliance with the conditions of the call for applications and their receipt within the stipulated period is determined by the responsible employee at JAK named for this purpose by the Director of the institution. Applications received shall be opened in sequence of receipt. Applicants with formally incomplete applications will be urged in writing to submit the missing documentation. Applicants should provide any additional information requested within five (5) days of receipt of the request or the application will be considered incomplete. Applications not received on time, in full, or not submitted by eligible persons, will be excluded from further consideration and rejected in writing.
9. Criteria for assessing applications
Applications received on time, considered complete, and submitted by eligible persons will be considered by the expert commission according to the sequence they are received in, based on the following criteria:
Publisher’s references and the estimated reach of the translation with emphasis on the proposed promotional activites of the publisher (author visit etc.)
Quality and relevance of the book applied for, and references of the author, illlustrator and chosen translator
Number of copies to be published (over 1,000 copies 1 point, under 1,000 copies 0 points)
Priority criteria – compliance with the aims of publishing books in French, German, Italian, Dutch and English
10. Applying the criteria and means of assessment
The expert committee for international promotion of Slovene literature and human science will consider the applications in the sequence of receipt, based on the criteria of the call for applications. The sequence of each application is determined when the application is considered complete. If an applicant hands in an incomplete proposal and provides the missing information at a later stage, either of their own initiative or at the request of JAK within the stipulated period, the date of receipt is considered the date the application is fully completed.
The projects chosen for financial support will be those that JAK will include on its list of approved projects based on the proposals by the expert committee. The committee will propose projects for financing that receive at least 18 points and will do so until the allocated funds are used up. With applications received at the same time, priority will be given to those with a higher score.
Criteria are assessed on each point where the maximum possible number of points are stated for each criterion.
The approved amount for funding for each project depends on the scope and the financial complexity of the cultural project and the funds available for the call for applications, where the selected projects are not judged comparatively in terms of approved funding in relation to the number of points received.
In funds are no longer available to the full amount requested by the last applicant being considered for co-funding, it will only be possible to fund this application to the amount of the remaining funds.
11. Deadline for submissions and the submission process
All documentation of the public call for applications JP3–TRUBAR–2020 is available an JAK’s website at www.jakrs.si/en. Interested parties can also obtain this documentation in person at JAK’s main office every weekday between 10 a.m. and 12 a.m.
Applicants should fill out the relevant application form OBR1-TRUBAR and then copy the data in the web application Google Forms (English: Application form JP3-TRUBAR-2020; Slovene: Prijavni obrazec JP3-TRUBAR-2020). Application form OBR1-TRUBAR should be dated, printed, stamped and signed. The application should contain all the mandatory attachments and information stipulated by the documentation of the call for applications.
Applicants should submit the completed application form within the deadline for submissions in electronic form (by filling out the form on the web application Google Forms) and send printed out version of the application form OBR1-TRUBAR with all the mandatory attachments by registered post or in person every weekday between 10 a.m. and 12 a.m. to the address: Slovenian Book Agency, Metelkova 2b, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia. An application is considered to have been submitted on time if JAK receives it in electronic and printed form before the deadline for submissions. If an application is sent by registered post, the date of posting is the date JAK will count as the date of receipt of the application. Registered post that does not state the time of posting is counted as having been sent on the date of posting at 23:59 hours.
Applications should be submitted in a sealed envelope with »DO NOT OPEN – JP3–TRUBAR–2020« written on the front. The back of the envelope must bear the applicant’s legal name and address.
Only applications submitted in written and electronic form will be considered complete.
For countries where sending the application by regular mail is currently not possible due to the COVID-19 epidemic, applicants should submit the electronic form, scan the entire application documentation and send it as an attachment by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state the name of the applicant and the wording JP3–TRUBAR–2020 in the subject line.
Applicants who are submitting applications for more than one project should send each application separately in its own envelope and also fill out the relevant forms for each project separately.
The period for accepting applications begins on the day of the publication of the public call for applications in the Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia and the publication of the call for applications on the JAK website http://www.jakrs.si/javni-razpisi-in-pozivi/ on 19. 6. 2020 and lasts until all the funds have been allocated but until no later than 15. 9. 2020.
12. Exclusion of applications
Applications (or additional information or change) will be considered too late if they are not sent by registered post by 15. 9. 2020 included, or are not handed in by this date in person at JAK's main office. Also considered too late are any applications which were not submitted in electronic form by 15. 9. 2020 included. Applications received after the public call for applications has ended due to all the available funding having been used up will also be considered too late. Any application not submitted on time according to the above descriptions will be excluded from further consideration with a written rejection.
Applications will be considered incomplete if they are not entirely filled out in electronic form and the original, dated and signed application forms, or forms that are not filled out according to the documentation of the public call for applications. Also considered incomplete are any applications that are received as formally incomplete and for which the applicant does not provide the additional information within the five-day period stipulated. Any incomplete applications will be excluded from further consideration with a written rejection.
Applicants may of their own accord send in extra information pertinent to their application up until the date the application will be considered by the expert committee.
Applicants who will hand in formally incomplete forms will be asked in writing to submit the missing documentation. This needs to be completed within five (5) days of receipt of the written request for completing a formally incomplete form and should be clearly marked which application or part of application it refers.
Any applicants whose role does not fulfil the terms set out in the call for applications will be considered as ineligible persons. Fulfilment of the terms is established on the basis of mandatory documentation and the application itself. Any applicant not fulfilling the general and specific terms will be considered ineligible and excluded from further consideration with a written rejection.
JAK reserves the right to change their decision about a project that has already been accepted and not sign a contract with an applicant if it subsequently establishes that the applicant does not in fact fulfil all the conditions set out in the call for applications. It also, in cases of subsequently establishing that the terms are not fulfilled, reserves the right to terminate a contract that has already been signed and in cases where funds have already been paid out to demand the return of part or all the funds.
JAK will not return application forms and associated documentation to applicants.
By handing in the application the applicant agrees to all the conditions and criteria of the public call for applications JP3–TRUBAR–2020.
On the basis of the findings of the expert committee’s opinion on every appropriate application received for the call for applications, the Director of JAK will issue a separate written decision either approving or rejecting the proposal. The written decision of approval is the basis for signing a contract. In cases where a contract is not signed or there is a retraction from the contract, JAK can then consider the application that was next in sequence but had previously not been accepted for co-financing because of the depletion of funds.
14. Documentation of the public call for applications
The documentation of the public call for applications includes:
- the text of the public call for applications
- the application form OBR1-TRUBAR (Slovene or English version),
- web application Google Forms (English: Application form JP3-TRUBAR-2020; Slovene: Prijavni obrazec JP3-TRUBAR-2020).
The relevant documentation of the public call for applications JP3–TRUBAR–2020 is available on JAK's web site http://www.jakrs.si/javni-razpisi-in-pozivi/.
Applicants must hand in the following documentation with their application:
- web application Google Forms (English: Application form JP3-TRUBAR-2020; Slovene: Prijavni obrazec JP3-TRUBAR-2020).
- a properly and fully filled out application form OBR1-TRUBAR with the following mandatory attachments:
- the current catalogue (web or printed) of the publisher who will publish the work
- proof of a settled rights agreement (a signed contract with the rights holders unless the work is copyright free)
- a pro forma invoice or final invoice for the cost of publication in cases where the book is alredy published;
- proof of payment of the relevant tarif in accordance with the provisions of the Tariff on the implementation of the services of the Public Book Agency of the Republic of Slovenia (Uradni list RS - Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 04/13 and 50/14).
15. Payment of the application tariff
In accordance with the provisions of the Tariff on the implementation of the services of the Public Book Agency of the Republic of Slovenia (UL RS - Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, Nos. 04/13 and 50/14) the applicant must enclose with the application proof of payment of the 25 EUR tariff. If the certificate is not attached, the applicant will be asked to comply. If, after the expiry of the deadline for the compliance the Book Agency will still not receive the relevant certificate, the application will be rejected as incomplete.
The Tariff in the amount of 25,00€ is to be paid to the following bank account:
IBAN: SI56 0110 0600 0027 474
With the payment reference: SI 00 “date of payment” (f. e.: 08072020)
Payment purpose: tariff JP3-TRUBAR-2020
16. Contact person for all additional information
Katja Stergar, tel.: 01 369 58 27, email: email@example.com
Office hours for any additional information and further explanations over the phone and electronic media are Mondays and Thursdays between 9.00 and 12.00, and Wednesdays between 14.00 and 16.00.
Director of the Slovenian Book Agency
 The legally binding text of the public call is only the original Slovene text.
 An invoice is an obligatory attachment with the request for payment of the subsidy. The amount of the subsidy should not exceed 70% of the amount on the invoice that is the basis for the request for payment. If the amount on the final invoice is lower than the pro forma invoice based on which the subsidy was approved, the said subsidy will be lowered accordingly.
Download the payment claim form.
(please fill in both application forms!)