In the field of international activity the Agency attends to the international recognisability of Slovenian authors and publishers in the field of literature and the humanities abroad. The Agency establishes various forms of international cooperation in the field of books, cooperates with other related institutions and networks and carries out the project Slovenia - Guest of Honour at the Frankfurt Book Fair.
Cooperating with various networks, Slovenian and foreign institutions is key to networking and consequently participating in additional programmes. Cooperation of this kind increases access to various international funds, increases the potential for including all Slovenian agents in the field of books, fulfilling the main aims in the field, i.e., increasing the recognisability and establishing Slovenian authors, translators, critics, organisers and publishers abroad.
Measures to achieve the above aims:
- presenting Slovenian literature at book fairs abroad,
- carrying out an international seminar for translators of Slovenian literature,
- publishing promotional material: leaflets about authors in English or German (for the Leipzig Book Fair and translation seminar), a catalogue of authors, illustrators and publishers (for the Bologna Children's Book Fair), sample translation booklets, information materials about the possibilities of co-financing and lists of publishers,
- co-financing translations of Slovenian works by Slovenian authors,
- co-financing programmes and projects in the field of international cooperation,
- cooperating with related and other institutions,
- participating in international networks and initiatives.
Public tenders in the field of international cooperation
- a three-year public tender for co-financing public cultural programmes in the field of books (the field of international cooperation),
- an annual project public tender in the field of international cooperation,
- an annual project tender for translations and sample translations into foreign languages,
- an annual project tender for co-financing author mobility,
- an annual project tender for the selection of authors for residencies abroad,
- an annual project tender for the selection of providers of residencies abroad.
Through public tenders in this field the Agency co-finances the organisation of events intended to permanently position Slovenian literature and the humanities abroad, the organisation of presentations at fairs without a national stand, and projects in Slovenia intended to increase the recognisability of Slovenian literature and the humanities abroad. The Agency also financially supports the operation of information platforms intended to better apprise the international public of Slovenian literature and the humanities, as well as innovative publishing and translation plans popularising Slovenian literature and the humanities abroad. In addition, the Agency also co-finances translations and sample translations into foreign languages and the mobility of Slovenian authors.
Cooperation with international agents in the field of books
- Traduki - click here for more information;
- Goudfazant - a network of European institutions working in international promotion of literature by supporting translations and other means of cooperation. The informal network formed in 2012 and numbers over 25 members exchanging experience and information;
- foreign publishers - apprising foreign publishers of Slovenian literature, forms of co-financing, translators, available rights of Slovenian texts for foreign markets, award winners, Slovenian publishers, etc.;
- foreign embassies and official institutions - apprising them of Slovenian literature and forms of co-financing, and providing assistance with international competitions etc;
- foreign organisers of fair and festival presentations - apprising them of forms of co-financing, potential authors for presentations, related events in Slovenia, etc.;
- foreign authorities - mutual exchange of information and cooperation in carrying out competitions and tenders; - foreign organisers of symposia and seminars - cooperating in preparing programmes and content, assisting with selecting potential Slovenian participants;
- foreign libraries - mutual exchange of information and assistance with purchasing materials, integrating Slovenian authors into foreign databases and cooperating in selecting authors for competitions.
Katja Stergar is the expert adviser on this field.